Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's a small world!

All my life this phrase never made a whole lot of sense to me... there really isn't anything small about this world... Well, there isn't until you move halfway across it- and see a familiar face in an unfamiliar place!

Last week I was waiting for my 3:15 swim lesson to show up at the German pool I teach at in Ramstein-Misenbach. I was killing time by swimming some laps and stopped to catch a breath at the end of the lane. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a woman looking at me- as if we knew each other. All of the sudden 4 kids came running up, with smiles that I would never forget...

It took me a second to make what was happening make sense in my mind- after all, it had been four years since I last saw the Hybl family in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

I met the Hybl's at the Cheyenne Mountain Country Club pool, which I managed back in the summer of 2007. Their daily swim was always the highlight of my day! Logan, Mallory, Liam and Aiden always kept me entertained with something new. We would play the card game "Speed" while hiding out in the guard office, waiting for the notorious 4pm thunder storms to pass by. When the circus came to town, I was invited to go check out the stunning acts with them. Monthly "lock in's" at the country club, and themed bbq nights were also a total hoot.
When word got out that I needed a place to stay for the summer- Sally's parents so graciously offered the lower half of their home for me to stay in.

All of these wonderful memories began to flood my mind when I saw all of their faces again... it just couldn't seem real! Here I was in Ramstein, Germany- waiting for my swim lesson ( that coincidentally never showed up) and was able to spend time catching up from the last four years. Oddly enough, they were on a vacation- and were stationed at Ramstein themselves back in the late 90's -and Logan learned how to swim at the pool I teach at!

So, it is a small world after all! Call it the right place at the right time, fate or just plain awesome...I was so happy to have seen the Hybl's again, and have a feeling that this won't be the last time we run into each other!

Reunited in Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment